Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Peony

The hot weather prompted 2 of the peonies to bloom, the Sarah Bernhardt and the Duchess de Nemours have decided to show off their wares for all the nectar loving insects which are just buzzing and fluttering about them.

I have learned that my butterfly visitor from yesterday was an Eastern Black Swallowtail.. possibly a male since there was significant yellow and little blue in his pattern. If your interested in identifying some of the butterflies in your Ontario backyard http://www.web-nat.com/Butterfly/ has a great resource website devoted to butterfly watching in Ontario. I was not handy enough to grab the camera to catch a picture of the Eastern Tiger Swallowtail fluttering about the garden this morning, as it seems they are much more humble for humans than the black swallowtail I saw yesterday.

2 Comments:

Blogger Naturegirl said...

Oh my.. be still my heart! I LOVE the white one!! Mine have yet to debut! I am pleased that you recognized the escarpement. I posted on Earth Day and mention it and I linked a site for visitors to learn more about my part of the world and yours..well your roots.Happy gardening neighbor!!

9:28 p.m.  
Blogger Philosophical Karen said...

Your peonies are beautiful! They are not a flower that I would grow, but that makes me appreciate them all the more in someone else's garden.

11:13 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home