Saturday, May 27, 2006

Ladybird Ladybird, Fly away home.



"Ladybird, ladybird fly away home. Your house is on fire and your children all roam."

In many cultures the precious little ladybug (called ladybird by the English) has been believed to bring good luck. To the English farmer and the French vintner it signals good weather. They received their name centuries ago in Europe when farmers found aphids invading their grapevines. Prayers to the Virgin Mary for help were answered when thousands of little red beetles appeared and ate the aphids. The farmers named the helpful beetles in honor of Mary, also knows as "Our Lady."
If one lands on a person’s hand or dress it will bring good fortune, and If one lands on you when you are ill, it takes the illness away. The more spots on the back the better the luck; each spot represent a lucky month. If a young girl catches a ladybug and then releases it, the direction in which it flies away will be the direction from which her future husband will come. In Sweden, a ladybug on a young woman’s hand signifies that she is being measured for wedding gloves. And children just love them, and seem to communicate with them directly.

5 Comments:

Blogger TraceyF said...

Here is hoping this little one brings us luck on our upcoming appointments.

3:17 p.m.  
Blogger Naturegirl said...

I adore this post as I do the ladybug!:)
My favorite little bug if one gets into the house I carry it outside to a plant.One the other day landed inside my blouse...I am thrilled ...I will stay healthy according to your info.!!Thankyou!!:)

9:48 p.m.  
Blogger Philosophical Karen said...

The Asian ones that bite only have two spots. I wonder what that signifies?

11:00 p.m.  
Blogger Dianne said...

I love ladybugs. My son and I raised them once (they came in the mail!) and it was neat to let them go after a while.
That is a gorgeous photograph. : )
Thanks for the link on your blog.

11:50 p.m.  
Blogger TraceyF said...

Oh no probs for the link, I am really enjoying reading about everyone elses garden and what works for them, tricks and tips as such.. I always remember that limeric about the ladybugs, there is more about the pupae not being able to roam because they are attached to a leaf.. it refers to the English practice of burning the crops in fall and telling the ladybugs to flee before the burning gets the young, but the eggs are attached and cannot move. A little morbid if you ask me, but most limerics are.

1:14 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home